London Marlowe Day & Annual General Meeting
Details and booking details for London Marlowe Day 2017
The Marlowe Society is pleased to announce that this year's London Marlowe Day will take place on Saturday 25 February at The King & Queen function room in Central London, the same venue as last year. The event will as usual incorporate the Society's Annual General Meeting, which has traditionally been held on the weekend closest to 26th February, the recorded date of Marlowe's baptism. This year marks the 453rd anniversary of that event.
We are very pleased to announce two fascinating speakers. Dr Benjamin Woolley, Associate Lecturer in English and Comparative Literature at Goldsmiths, University of London, and author of a number of books including The Queen's Conjuror, will give us a talk in the morning entitled Dr Dee's Library. After lunch, Dr Anne-Sophie Refskou, Lecturer in Theatre and Performance at the University of Surrey returns to speak about the 'Hamlet in Elsinore 1816-2016' exhibition she curated and organised at King's College London last year. The exhibition, which was a part of the World Shakespeare Congress and the Shakespeare400 Festival, tells the story of a place which for centuries has been developing an extraordinary Shakespearean performance tradition.
The day's programme will be completed by a Members Update session. This will provide members with the opportunity to learn more about a number of initiatives including The Christopher Marlowe Museum Project in Canterbury, Marlowe Workshops in London, the Corpus Christi Debates, possible Birmingham meetings, the Kingston Shakespeare Seminar (KiSS), the Annual Christopher Marlowe Lecture and 'The Creed of Spies' project at the Marlowe Theatre.
There is no charge for the AGM itself, but tickets for the lectures and afternoon performance can be purchased by both members and non-members at the price of £15 and £18 respectively, whilst tickets for students cost £10 each. Payment can be made by sending a cheque to the Treasurer, Charles Cox (by Tuesday 21 February latest), via internet bank transfer (details), or via PayPal using the relevant "Buy Now" button on our Society Events page. Please also send an accompanying e-mail note to the Treasurer detailing the latter types of payments.
This year we are again holding the event at the The King & Queen pub on the corner of Foley Street and Cleveland Street in the heart of London's West End. The pub is most famous for being the venue of Bob Dylan's first ever performance outside the US (and still hosts a regular Folk Club), but more importantly continues to get good reviews for its friendly service, food and well-kept beer. We have hired the large upstairs Function Room for the day.
London Marlowe Day incorporating the Marlowe Society AGM:
Saturday 25th February 2017
- 10:00 onwards - Assemble
- Gather for coffee at The King & Queen, the sale of raffle tickets and the Chairman's welcome.
- 10:30 - Marlowe Society AGM
- 11:45 - Dr. Dee's Library
- A talk by Dr Benjamin Woolley, Associate Lecturer in English and Comparative Literature at Goldsmiths, University of London.
- 13:00 - Lunch
- Not included in ticket price. See King & Queen Food Menu.
- 14:30 - Hamlet in Elsinore
- Dr Anne-Sophie Refskou, Lecturer in Theatre and Performance at the University of Surrey will speak on her recent exhibition at King's College, London.
- 15:30 - Members Update
- A session of brief reports on The Christopher Marlowe Museum Project in Canterbury, The Marlowe Workshops in London, The Corpus Christi Debates, possible Birmingham meetings, KiSS, the Annual Christopher Marlowe Lecture and 'The Creed of Spies' project at the Marlowe Theatre.
- 16:15 - Raffle to be drawn.
- 16:30 - Proceedings close.