Globe's Doctor Faustus |
Stage on Screen's Doctor Faustus |
Jarman's Edward II |
Burton & Taylor's Doctor Faustus
Professor Park Honan's Marlowe Biography
Globe on Screen DVD: Doctor Faustus (2011)
- DVD Release Date: 03 December 2012.
- Studio: Shakespeare's Globe Theatre On Screen - Opus Arte DVD.
- Running Time: 166 minutes.
- Theatre Production Director: Matthew Dunster.
- Starring: Paul Hilton as Faustus and Arthur Darvill (Rory in Doctor Who) as Mephistopheles.
- Region: All regions.
- DVD Reviews: Customer reviews on Amazon.
- Summary: The Globe 2011 production of Christopher Marlowe's Doctor Faustus: "Doctor Faustus is Christopher Marlowe's most renowned and controversial work. Famous for being the first dramatised version of the Faustus tale, the play depicts the sinister aftermath of Faustus's decision to sell his soul to the Devil's henchman in exchange for power and knowledge. The first-ever staging of this menacing drama at the Globe Theatre includes several impressive magical stunts along the way. Filmed in high Definition and true surround sound. Spoken in Marlowe's English with English and German subtitles."
- Buy Online: Globe Shop Online; Amazon.co.uk
- Website Links: Doctor Faustus production at The Globe(2011).
Stage on Screen DVD: Doctor Faustus at the Greenwich Theatre
- DVD Release Date: January 2010.
- Studio: Stage on Screen.
- Running Time: Not specified.
- Theatre Production Director: Elizabeth Freestone.
- Starring: Gareth Kennerley as Faustus, Tim Treloar as Mephistopheles.
- Region: Stage on Screen state: "DVDs will be supplied in the format suitable for the country being ordered from".
- DVD Reviews: The Stage. Theatre Production Reviews: British Theatre Guide; ThisIsLocalLondon.
- Summary: Greenwich Theatre signed a unique deal with Stage on Screen to stage high quality professional productions of classic texts, and the theatre's production of Doctor Faustus in October 2009 was one of the first DVDs to be produced via this arrangement. The production itself was billed as follows: "Greenwich Theatre makes a dramatic return to producing with Marlowe's devilish tale of magic, sin and ambition. Directed by Elizabeth Freestone, and designed by Neil Irish."
- Buy Online: Stage on Screen: Standard DVD (1 Disc); Library Pack (3 discs); or Teacher Pack (4 discs).
- Website Links: Stage on Screen's Doctor Faustus: Introduction & DVD Clips, Study Area, Production, Text.
DVD Release: Edward II (1991) - Directed by Derek Jarman
Christopher Marlowe: Poet & Spy by Professor Park Honan
- Publisher: Oxford University Press
- Details: Hardback & paperback; 448 pages.
- Publication Dates: Hardback: October 2005; Paperback: August 2007.
- Hardback ISBN: 0-19-818695-9; 978-0-19-818695-3
- Paperback ISBN: 0-19-923269-5; 978-0-19-923269-7
- Reviews: London Review of Books by John Bossy (and Park Honan's Reply); New York Times by Michael Feingold; New York Review of Books by Stephen Greenblatt.
- Summary: An authoritative and highly readable account of Marlowe's life and works up until his recorded death in 1593 by Professor Park Honan (a Marlowe Society Vice-President), which also unearths new documentary evidence relating to Ingram Frizer following his release.
- Website Link: Reviewed by Roger Hards in Marlowe Society Newsletter 26
- Buy Online: See Marlowe Society biographies page with links to buy online.
DVD Release: Doctor Faustus (1967)
- DVD Release Date: 02 March 2004
- Studio: Sony Pictures
- Running Time: 92 minutes.
- Starring: Richard Burton, Elizabeth Taylor and the Oxford University Players
- Directors: Richard Burton, Nevill Coghill.
- Region: Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only, or may play on "region-free" DVD players).
- Buy Online: Amazon.co.uk; Amazon.com
- Summary: Richard Burton stars as the aging scholar who makes a deal with the devil for youth, knowledge, and a dazzling mistress. Taylor plays the spellbinding seductress who seals Faustus' fate.
- Website Link: Doctor Faustus at IMDB for summary, cast, plot, trivia and quotes.